And so summer comes to an end and with it the final guest post. I’m excited to bring back Dana of Killing Thyme this week for another delicious addition to the archives! You all remember her spectacular Toasted Coconut and Lemongrass Ice Cream from March? You bet your sweet fanny you do! This time she’s handing over the recipe for these decadent Dark Chocolate Chickpea Cake Brownies. You may commence drooling now. Thanks again, Dana!
One of my favorite things about guest posting for The Cinnamon Scrolls is that it forces me to challenge myself. For one, when it comes to recipe development for my own blog (Killing Thyme), baked goods just aren’t at the top of my list. I’m definitely much more of a savory gal rather than sweet. Second, using only natural ingredients puts another fun spin on things. I’d never even heard of, let alone purchased, coconut palm sugar before this recipe. I guess it’s just too easy to use what you know rather than explore other (and healthier) options sometimes. The Cinnamon Scrolls has definitely broken me out of that cycle.
These cake brownies, though.
Like most confections where legumes replace flour, the texture here isn’t exactly like that of a classic brownie — but it’s damn good. Because I’d describe these chocolatey bites more as the softest and most moist cakes you’ve ever laid your teeth into, I’ve opted to call them cake brownies. It just made sense.
The dark chocolate flavor in these is wonderful. I even managed to trick my chickpea-loathing husband into eating a few of these bad boys before breaking the news. He really liked them until I spilled the beans. I got a good chuckle and he did that thing where he acts unfazed in an effort to keep me from seeing that he’s actually screaming on the inside. It was pretty great.
All in all, a delicious snack. I added some peppermint essential oil for a sweet and cool choco-minty flavor, but that’s totally optional.
This recipe is beyond easy — we’ll even say it’s foolproof. All you need is 35 minutes and blender.
Will I be making these again? Heck yes.
Will my husband be eating them? Probably not. But that’s just dandy — more for me.
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp full-fat coconut milk (don't shake, just grab that cream off the top.)
- ⅓ cup organic, unpasteurized honey
- ⅓ cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup naturally sweetened dark chocolate chips
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line an 8 x 8" baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add all of the listed ingredients into a blender and blend until the substance is a smooth batter.
- Carefully poor the batter into the lined baking dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until brownies test clean with a cake tester.
- Let the cake brownies cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting and serving.
If you make these Dark Chocolate Chickpea Cake Brownies, be sure to take a photo and tag me @cinnamonscribe on Instagram or Twitter. I love seeing your creations and sharing them!